Wednesday 1 June 2016

Tests you can't study for

First of all, I had started writing here at the end of last week and thought I had saved it but I can't find it anywhere!  Also, I realized I hadn't written here in so long! Partially because I've been busy (my niece got married, than Passover, than my kids coming home from university for the summer...) and because  I have been feeling terrible!.  So bad in fact that I went to see the respirologist on the lung transplant team.  I try to avoid going there at all costs for many reasons but here's just a couple of examples.

Two years ago I was admitted to hospital because of my headaches.  One day a psych nurse came to see me.  She explained that she was employed by the hospital 8:30 to 4:30 (not paid by our health care system) and she only worked with transplant patients who'd had their surgery 1 - 2 years ago.  Then she told me I had pre-existing anxiety disorder.  She didn't even know me! We had only spoken for about 5 minutes! Plus, as a psych nurse she is not allowed to make diagnoses.

About 5 or 6 years ago I was having terrible stomach aches and was sent to see a gastroenterologist. (Wow, I spelled that right).  He did a few tests and concluded that my system was backed up i.e.: that I was literally full of shit!  Nothing was done about it although.  Last July I came in to see the resperologist because I was having trouble breathing.  I did a breathing test and my scores had taken quite a drop.  A CT scan was done,  the dr. gave me an inhaler to use when I needed to and sent me on my way.

So, when I went in to see them last week they pulled out the two tests I mentioned above.  Seriously? I said to the dr. (by the way, you never get to see the same dr. twice).  You want to do something about these old tests now?  She showed me the CT scan and pointed out some white dots on my lungs which indicate infection.  So I've been walking around for a whole year with a lung infection?  Unbelievable.  Going for another CT scan on June 6th.  They also want me to do another gastro test.  This test involves eating half an egg sandwich (I wouldn't touch an egg sandwich with a 10 foot pole!) that has been laced with some kind of dye.  I am not doing that test.  At least not yet.

More soon! Keep reading and please comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment