Sunday 26 June 2016

quiet time

I am two hours north/east of Toronto at the cottage. When I got up early this morning and sat at the dining room table sipping my coffee the foliage on the other side of the lake was reflected in the water.  Water so smooth it looked like glass.  I came up here with my husband a couple of days ago but he left early this morning.  So it's just me for the week.  When I told one of my friends about my plans, she asked me if I was scared.  Scared of what?  Being alone? Solitude? A chance to write with no distractions?  However the main reason I came here is because it's going to be very hot and humid in the city all week.  The weather reports go something like this: "It's 32 degrees out there but with the humidex it will feel like 40".  As far as I'm concerned, that humidex is speaking to people like me, people who can't breathe all that well.  Up here, on the lake, it is still hot outside but I can breathe much better .

My last pulmonary function test (basically how well I can breathe) showed a significant drop.  Now I wait for the results of the CT scan that was done last week.  I was very upset to see this drop (I know how to read these tests by now).  Especially when the doctor told me that once your breathing capacity drops you can never recover it.  So here I am, breathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment