Wednesday 30 November 2016

Just wanted to share these thoughts

I have two things on my mind today that I wanted to share.

 First of all, our family was fortunate enough to be able to singled out as a contributor to Jewish National Fund's Book of Life.  The book chronicles stories of Jewish families, how they came here before, during and after World War II.  Each page is devoted to a particular family's history and how they got to be where they are today.  Yesterday I, as the writer in the family (although my daughter is my editor and is becoming a far better writer than I think I am), sat down with my in-laws and interviewed both of them.  I have been married to their son for over 26 years. Didn't know at the time that I wasn't just marrying him but his whole family which, as it seems, turned out to be a blessing. But I digress.  I knew most of the family history and stories already and came prepared with questions but it felt so good to write it down on paper; to know that it will be published and therefore available to future generations.

The other thing that's been on my mind for awhile is my kids.  My son is 23 and my daughter is almost 20.  Maybe because of my health or maybe because they were raised in this village we call our family, they are both very astute and not afraid to speak up.  They tell me what they think I should do in certain instances. I'll give you a small example.  My husband's surgeon (see a previously blog entry entitled "The Hip") told him that a recumbent bicycle would be the best kind of rehab for him.  In my present condition a large part of my recovery and getting off of the oxygen is exercise.  When one has a lung transplant (and probably a heart as well) fifty percent of a successful recovery and prolonged life span is exercise, the other fifty percent being the anti-rejections medications.  But again, I digress.  My son told me to wait until Cyber Monday to buy the bike but I bought it on Black Friday.  Of course he was right and I could've saved us about $130.  I asked my mother-in-law how it feels to have your children give you advice.  She told me that she looks at it like she has "staff".  I need to get into that mindset.

And I rode that bike for twenty minutes this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment